Sunday, November 29, 2009

My Story

I wasn't always fat. Actually, I started life pretty normal. I never would have thought that I would have anything to worry about. No one in my family had ever struggled with their weight in their younger years. See, totally normal looking four year old, weight wise. I can't say that I was active as a child, the most I did was swimming lessons and tap dancing. I stayed "normal" looking until I was about eight years old and I started to chunk out a little bit, but no one really noticed.


Years went by and I continued to gain weight. By the time I was ten, I weighed 120 pounds, and was short. I don't know my exact height but I was fat. A few more years went by and I was 13 years old. I had reached 186 pounds at 5 feet 2 inches. It got to the point where I would not wear red because the kids at school would call me "The Kool-Aid Man". Didn't like that too much, so I decided to do something about it. The summer between middle school and high school I went on a diet. I lost about 20 pounds putting me at I think 167 pounds and I thought for the first time in my life, I looked hot. I rode my bike non stop. I would ride that thing two miles to visit friends.


My sophomore year of high school, I joined that swim team and dropped even more weight and look even better. That year I got my first real boyfriend and life was great. The next year I got a job as a hostess and was still swimming that continued until I graduated high school. With all my walking and swimming I could pretty much eat what ever I wanted and didn't have to worry about gaining weight. Then everything changed...


I was no longer a kid and got a real job instead of going to school full time, something I seriously regret. I went from being extremely active to being sedentary eight or nine hours a day. I had a new boyfriend and we would go out to dinner every night which was not good for either of us. We had both quickly gained weight. I had put on 50 pounds by October. At 19, I was the heaviest I had ever been in my life tipping the scale at 225 pounds. I dropped some of the weight and sat between 200 and 210 until I was 22 (2004). In late 2004 I started kick boxing and really liked it. I continued to do it for the rest of the year without any results. Then everything changed...


I woke up on January 2nd 2005 and decided that I didn't want to be fat anymore. I joined a gym and started the Slim Fast diet and slowly started to lose weight. I was happy with how I was starting to look but wasn't quite sure what I needed to do to take it a step further. I talked with my kick boxing instructor and he taught me about nutrition and became a true inspiration to me. By April of 2005 I was down to 175 pounds and running two miles without getting tired, but I still wanted more. I wanted to be thin and hot and I had motivation and did pretty much what I could to get what or possibly who I wanted.


To make a long story shorter, I didn't get what or who I wanted. Let's move to mid 2006. I looked great. I was wearing a size 10. Never saw that size in my life. At that point I fully gave up on who I wanted and started fresh. I started dating a lot more. In October of that year I met my husband and actually not too much later planned a wedding. I started working out with a personal trainer and got down to my lowest weight ever in my adult life, 161 pounds. Then everything changed...


In January of 2008, I found out I was pregnant with my first child. I gained 70 pounds, but I was going to breast feed, so I'd lose it really fast. But, I had to have a c-section. I lost about 35 pounds of that and surprise, baby number two is on the way. Luckily, I only gained 37 pounds with that pregnancy.


So, two c-sections in a year. Not so easy to go back to normal after that, but I'm going to do it. My challenge is to lose 50 pounds over the next 120 days. I am doing this blog to keep motivated and to motivate other moms that they can do it too. Also, I will be held more accountable for what I do because I don't want to fail with people watching me. I hope my story inspires people and check back for update and other info.

3 comments:

  1. Let's hear more about this husband of yours. He sounds hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca- Just lost twenty pounds and am hoping for ten more. I gained 25 pounds when I quit smoking 20 years ago and have wrestled with weight ever since. No on in my family is overweight but I do have hypothyroidism. Have you been checked for that? It really messes with your weight. I will be checking in and wishing you well. And on that hot husband, too

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great Patti! Best of luck to you. Medically, there is nothing wrong with me.

    ReplyDelete